samedi 13 septembre 2014

Matt Murdock's Radar Sense

There was a discussion about Matt Murdock's radar sense in the general discussion thread, but I thought it was interesting enough to warrant its own thread. Basically, the question is how do you portray what Daredevil "sees" through his radar sense on screen? I used "sees" in quotes because I think everyone agrees that it's not sight and its misleading to call it sight. Any attempt to represent it visually would be an abstraction. My view is that this abstraction is a necessary evil. However, The Question has taken the opposite view. His two suggestions are to not show it at all (instead, just show Matt reacting to his surroundings, emphasizing his heightened sense of sound, etc.) or to show how Matt imagines the world (taking into account that he once could see and possibly cuing to the audience how his imagination would be an imperfect representation). I think these are good ideas, although I still argue it's ultimately not enough.



You can follow the discussion starting here, here, here, here, here, and here. As you can see, the conversation was starting to dominate, so I decided to start this thread.



If you want to read how it's been handled in the comics, a good place to start is The Other Murdock Papers, where someone has thought way too hard about this subject (I mean that in the best way possible. Her work is invaluable to a Daredevil fan).



I also want to post this. If you want to see something awesome, you can skip the rest of my post and just watch this. Daniel Kish is man who was blinded by cancer from early in life and has no visual memories. Early on, he taught himself to essentially echolocate. He can tell the size, shape, distance, etc. of objects by making a tongue click and listening to the response. In some areas, it's extremely precise, but it has its clear limitations. Daredevil's radar sense is not portrayed this way (in the sense of being an active system rather than a passive one), but it's a good starting point when thinking of his strengths and weaknesses.




VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:







http://ift.tt/1xYG43W




VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:







http://ift.tt/1tNcAzG



ETA: I added links for the videos because I couldn't get the embed to work right.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire