samedi 24 mai 2014

Wear and Tear on a carpet when renting a room

For the past 9 months or so, I've been renting a room in the house that my friend and his sisters own. They've decided to sell, and now I have to move out and find a new place.



Well, it has come to my attention that they are expecting me to pay for a carpet replacement, and I'm trying to figure out if they are justified in doing so, or if I am in the right to not pay.



There is one area of the carpet, by the bedroom door, where the carpet has become badly frayed and pulled up from the floor underneath. I was afraid that I had been responsible for this, as I live with a cat, but one day during my living here, my friend mentioned to me that the carpet had been like that and it wasn't my fault. So I am unsure if my cat did that, or if the carpet was already like that prior to moving in. I, unfortunately, did not think to take photos of my room.



The rest of the carpet I feel can be cleaned up with a simple carpet cleaning. There are small minor marks on the floor, but nothing that can't come out with a carpet cleaning.



The only precedence I have is that when I moved out of my last apartment, the carpet that I had there was left in far worse shape than the carpet I am leaving in this house, and I was fully refunded 100% of my security deposit after leaving that apartment. But it was different parties involved, in different circumstances, in different states, so I'm not sure how exactly that applies.



My friend is obviously on the side of his sisters, claiming that the state of this carpet would have me charged for a replacement anywhere, but I disagree with that, and I don't feel that the damage I've done warrants me being responsible for a full replacement.



I've googled "wear and tear", but haven't exactly gotten any conclusive answers to my situation. Is there anyone who is familiar with this sort of thing that may be able to offer up some advice, or show me where I can go to figure out if I am actually responsible for this or not?



If I AM responsible for it, I've no problem paying. But I don't want to be charged hundreds or thousands of dollars for something that I'm not responsible for.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire