samedi 8 mars 2014

The Return of Fuel

Hey so a new Fuel album came out this week. I had been on the lookout for this for a while since I saw them perform a few years back but then it kind of dropped off my radar. If you're unfamiliar (and there's a good chance you are) they had a few big hits in the late 90s and early 00s like Shimmer, Hemorrhage and Bad Day. Although they were originally from Tennessee, they relocated to Harrisburg, PA in the mid-90s (near where I grew up) and then hit it big. Therefore, as a local success story (and a great band), I've followed them over the years.



In the mid 00s, lead singer Brett Scallions left the band, then head songwriter/lead guitarist Carl Bell left, then Brett came back, then other members left, and where we are today is Brett and three guys who weren't part of the original lineup. I suppose some fans might argue that it's not "really" Fuel without Carl (and their arguments would have some validity, since as I said before, he was the primary songwriter), but one of the band's biggest strengths has always been Brett's vocals. He penned a few decent Fuel tunes back in the day, so if his songwriting is still up to par, then perhaps a new album could feel like the Fuel of old, right?



Well, I downloaded Puppet Strings yesterday and I'm happy to report that I thoroughly enjoy it. There are plenty of kickass, old school rockers like Soul to Preach To, Headache and Time for Me to Stop. But as usual, the moments where Scallions really shines is on the slower tunes... great songs like Wander and What We Can Never Have make me think of some old classic Fuel tunes like Hideaway and Innocent. Scallions also shows some Southern rock influence on a couple songs... Hey, Mama sounds like it could be a sequel to the Black Crowes classic, She Talks to Angels. Additionally, new lead guitarist Andy Andersson impresses with some classic rock-inspired solos, which helps to set this new Fuel apart from the old version, in a good way.



All in all, Puppet Strings is a very solid album and my only real complaint is that I wish it was longer because I could have certainly listened to a few more tracks. I recommend checking it out and also, be sure to catch Brett and co. on tour this year because they put on a great live show.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire