vendredi 16 décembre 2016

Battle of the Sci-fi/FBI shows FRINGE vs the X-Files. Which do you prefer?

Hi folks,

During its run I persevered with the X-files and, despite being frustrated with how slowly the overall story developed, came to love some of the monster of the week episodes ( "Tooms" "Pusher" ,"Kitsunegari" ,"Detour" and "Je Souhaite" and "musings of a cigarette smoking man" )being my favourites.

However, there were plenty of times that the crawling pace put me off, and failed to sit through an entire episode - while I was mildly interested to know how things turned out, it wasn't sufficient to maintain my attention.

Fringe was a different story. for those who remember it, it was the JJ Abrams' 21s century version of the X-files. While I admit there are some places where Fringe lost its way, the pace was quicker and the characters a lot more engaging. Watching Fringe each week was a ritual for me - and I was very sad that it ended, somewhat prematurely, I felt.

The greatest Fringe standalone, IMO, "White Tulip" is better than any of the standalone X-files episodes.

And the mythological elements of Fringe (particularly the Observer) kept me engaged far more than the shadowy conspirators and alien weirdoes of the X-Files.

Fringe had an amazing dynamic between the 3 leads and the supporting cast.
I found them a much more engaging bunch than Mulder and Scully - and John Noble's mad-scientist turn was criminally neglected by the Emmys, he could go from sympathetic, helpless old man to egomaniacal sociopath in a very short span.

However, this is just my view - and maybe it's just that I have a short attention span. How do other people think that the two shows stack up ?

Which do you prefer, and why ?

I feel like X-Files has claimed a much wider niche in the general consciousness, but Fringe has a "cult" status with its diehard fans ( e.g. I'm friends with September, on Facebook).

What does everyone else think ?


Battle of the Sci-fi/FBI shows FRINGE vs the X-Files. Which do you prefer?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire