samedi 5 avril 2014

Should the MCU Films Be More Timeless?

I know Feige said they want to recast and keep the universe going Bond style, but I'm beginning to question whether that is indeed the best decision.



It seems like Marvel really went out of their way to establish their films' events to take place in the exact year they're released. Every film has references to exact dates and times. To list some examples (may contain minor CA:TWS spoilers):



-In IM3, Tony says he was 14 years old in 1983.

-Cap was born in 1918 and that Cap was born in 1918 and is chronologically 95 years old during the TWS events. Widow is also established to be born in 1984.

-Howard Stark being alive and "active" in the 1940's will Tony's age will be stuck on a floating timeline as the years pass, according to Feige.

-Same thing applies for Peggy in CA:TWS.

-If memory serves me right, Marvel released an official timeline with Tony and Bruce's birthdays being in the late 60's/early 70's.



These are just off the top of my head. I remember seeing a few more, and can probably list them if I rewatch all the films again. Regardless, I think Marvel's films are bound to age horribly if they keep doing this while still desiring to take the Bond route. 10-15 years from now, the things I just listed may come off as really awkward in rewatches or to new viewers. I feel they should be more timeless in terms of when they take place. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean taking the Batman TAS route and mixing 1940's fashions with futuristic computers. The films can still look as if they take place in their respective release year, but the references to real life need to stop or be more downplayed.



Since they do seem to reference real dates and have a natural-evolving continuity, I also think it would be more interesting if they let the MCU keep on going via real time, even aging and killing off certain characters. Dare I say even create original characters? At this moment, I think it would not only be more fitting, but also has the potential to be more original and creative. We have yet to have a big mainstream Marvel universe that does that, since both the 616 and Ultimate universes went the floating timeline route.



Thoughts?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire