mercredi 20 juillet 2016

Politics and Incivility

Good day, all. Relatively new here and looking forward to getting to know you all.

I'm jumping into the deep end of the pool here, but I believe I have hit my gag reflex point when it comes to the level of incivility that exists between people, particularly when it comes to politics. Robert Heinlein once noted that "a dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than a riot." We seem to have reached that point. Consider this:

http://ift.tt/29TveI5

There is no one to root for, as my father used to say, in this story. Not the mother who was encouraged to publicly go off on an emotional rant, nor the writer who felt the need to respond in kind. And rather than acknowledge both individuals were out of line, people instead are lining up behind one or the other, more invested in beating the other side than they are in actually doing anything at all useful.

At what point, I wonder, do people wake up and see exactly what it is they have become?

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to get that off my chest. Look forward to reading your thoughts on the matter.


Politics and Incivility

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire